Stan’s Obligatory Blog

Happy Thanksgiving

12/27/2006

Goodbye Bella

Filed under: — stan @ 11:38 pm

Our little puppy Bella died last night. We have no idea what happened to her, but yesterday morning Cathy found her burrowed into the cushions of the couch. She was alive, but comatose. Cathy took her to the emergency vet and they said that she appeared to be suffering from liver failure.

When our regular vet opened, Cathy took Bella up there, and they put her on an IV to help her blood pressure and they confirmed the diagnosis. They said that it looked like she had eaten something that poisoned her. They kept her there overnight, but they said that there wasn’t really anything they could do. She would either recover or die. And she died last night.

We’re all very sad about this. Bella was a sweet and loving dog, and we’re going to miss her a lot.

When Cathy took Bella to the vet, Lucinda told us that she didn’t want to talk about it, so she doesn’t know yet that Bella died. We think she probably knows on some level, but she just can’t deal with it yet.

This is a very sad day for us.

8 Responses to “Goodbye Bella”

  1. Tammer Says:

    I’m sorry Stan. I hope Lucinda takes it well when she finds out.

  2. Mark Says:

    Man, what a lousy way to end the year. My Bella (a shi tzu here in New Jersey) will be very sad to hear about your Bella in L.A. Life is made better with dogs. Rest in peace, Bella.

  3. Michelle Says:

    I’m so sorry. Poor little doggie. Poor Lucinda. Poor you guys. Sad.

  4. Jodi Says:

    Oh no! My sister-in-law’s dog died yesterday. I hadn’t seen her in awhile, but had a bond with her and have been very sad. I just finished putting up a tribute. Yours is the third in a week’s time of friends or family’s pets suddenly lost. I’m so, so sorry and sad to hear this news. Take care.

  5. Gene Says:

    Michelle’s entry says it all. I have to go give my dog a hug now.

  6. Chuck Says:

    Oh man. I’m really sorry to hear this. I feel bad for you guys.

  7. Karen Says:

    Oh my goodness…that is very sad news. Poor Bella. Many things are poison to dogs (Chocolate being a common thing they like to eat.)

    I had a puppy (6 months) Bouvier that died. We think he drank some anti-freeze from a puddle in an alley during a walk (which is a notorious poison but smells sweet and animals will drink it.) But it was so sad that even all these years later it still breaks my heart to think about it.

    Sorry to hear about this. *weep*

  8. Vicki Says:

    I would be willing to bet Bella got some of the first of the poisoned commercial food that has been killing dogs and cats. Two of mine got some of it in the form of biscuits. It was not on the list at the time, but showed up weeks later. They are damaged, but not dead because the news of the poison had got around and I was watching then all closely and threw the stuff out. I also got online and found a site that gave instructions on home emergency help for your animals. Folic acid, kidney flushing (greatly increase fluid intake) and milk thistle herb. I’m very sorry your puppy died.

Leave a Reply

Seals

Powered by WordPress